- ^ Public schools were defined in the report of the Fleming Committee in 1942 as "schools which are in membership of the Governing Bodies' Association or Headmasters' Conference".
- 'To fail them all their days' By Ben Locker and William Dornan in The Times. April 3, 2007
- University Admissions by Individual Schools. Sutton Trust. 2008-02.
- Milburn, Alan (chair). Unleashing Aspiration: The Final Report of the Panel on Fair Access to the Professions. 2009 [25 May 2010].
- Passmore, Biddy. Bastions for the elite?. Times Education Supplement. 31 December 1999.