后来她在国家地理中说，"I thought it would be a nice lark," she said, adding "It wasn't." Another time she complained "For some fool reason, they always lead you right up over the biggest rock to the top of the biggest mountain they can find."
1970年，时年83，她在弗吉尼亚州奥克顿访问阿帕拉契旅行用品商店时，有人询问她对于当时轻量背包装备的看法，她建议：“制作一个雨衣，一个单肩背包，再买双结实的Keds网球鞋。在当地杂货店买好维也纳香肠……其他吃的你可以在路边找到……and by the way those wild onions are not called "Ramps"... they are "Rampians" ... a ramp is an inclined plane.”
盖特伍德是National Campers 、Hikers Association和the Roanoke Appalachian Trail Club的终生会员，同时她也是Director Emeritus和the Buckeye Trail Association的终生会员。
- ^ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Gallia County Genealogical Socity
- ^ 2.0 2.1 2.2 When Grandma Gatewood hiked the Appalachian Trail. Sierra Club. November/December 2002 [2009-05-08]. "When Grandma Gatewood hiked the Appalachian Trail in 1955, she tramped all 2170 miles in tennis shoes, her only shelter an army blanket, a raincoat, ..."
- ^ SI Vault
- ^ Appalachian Trail Conservancy Noteworthy 2000-Milers
- ^ Hocking County Tourism Association
- ^ Grandma Gatewood Trail - Old Man's Cave to Ash Cave | Logan Ohio Hikes | Trails.com