This page was created to provide a narrative describing the Chinese Wikipedia community. It was started by User:Fuzheado and is geared towards publication in academic texts. For this reason, it is done in English (and the fact that User:Fuzheado's puthonghua is terrible).
Missing information is represented by TK, which is the proofreading convention for "to come". In the spirit of Wiki, anyone is encouraged to fill in the TKs or to edit this text.
The Chinese Wikipedia, or formally Zhongwen Wikipedia, is the Chinese version of the world's largest free encyclopedia project. While the Wikipedia has been around since TK, the Chinese version was started in May 2001. According to the Wikipedia language list, the main page was made on November 16, 2002.
- First users, translators of interface?
- Challenges? Stories?
Community and Conventions[编辑]
- Description of active community
- List of active members, areas of expertise
Simplified versus Traditional Chinese characters[编辑]
- Which one does Zh Wikipedia use, and why?
Dealing with PRC, HK, Taiwan, Overseas Chinese culture[编辑]
- Cultural differences among different groups
- Best articles, ie. Brilliant Prose
- Significant edit wars
- Hot button issues, neutrality disputes
- Recurring themes, issues, problems
The largest Wikipedias (January 3, 2004):
1. English (189,273) 2. German (Deutsch) (43,883) 3. Japanese (Nihongo) (24,305) 4. French (Français) (22,669) 5. Swedish (Svenska) (19,026) 6. Polish (Polska) (19,009) 7. Dutch (Nederlands) (17,928) 8. Spanish (Español) (14,733) 9. Danish (Dansk) (14,616) 10. Esperanto (10,467) 11. Italian (Italiano) (5,349) 12. Catalan (Català) (4,950) 13. Chinese (Hanyu) (3,665) 14. Slovenian (Slovensko) (3,515) 15. Romanian (Română) (3,123)