- ^ Norie, John William; Hobbs, J. S. Sailing directions for the Bay of Biscay, including the coasts of France and Spain, from Ushant to Cape Finisterre "A new ed., rev. and considerably improved". C. Wilson. 1847: 1  [7 February 2010]. OCLC 41208722.
An order, recently issued by the Lords Commissioners of the Admiralty, states, that in order to prevent mistakes, which frequently occur from the similarity of the words starboard and larboard, in future, the word port is to be substituted for larboard, in all Her Majesty’s ships or vessels.
- Herreshoff, Halsey, (consulting editor) (1983) The Sailor’s Handbook, Little Brown and Company
- Jobson, Gary (1987) Sailing Fundamentals, Simon & Schuster
- Maloney, Elbert S., (editor) (1999) Chapman Piloting: Seamanship & Small Boat Handling, Hearst Marine Books, New York
- Rousmaniere, John (1999) The Annapolis Book of Seamanship, Simon & Schuster
- Seidman, David (1995) The Complete Sailor, International Marine