- ^ Kaplan, Helen Singer; Horwith, Melvin. The Evaluation of Sexual Disorders: Psychological and Medical Aspects. Psychology Press. 1983 [2020-12-24]. ISBN 978-0-87630-329-0. （原始内容存档于2021-10-26） （英语）.
Men subjected to capital punishment by hanging and laboratory animals sacrificed with cervical dislocation have terminal erections. The implication is that either central inhibition of erection is released and erection created or that a sudden massive spinal cord stimulus generates an erectile response. There is ample experimental and clinical evidence to support the former supposition.
- ^ Grube, Willis Webster. A Compendium of Practical Medicine for the Use of Students and Practitioners of Medicine. Hadley Publishing Company. 1897 （英语）.
Erection has long been observed to follow injuries to the cerebellum and spinal cord. Out of eleven cases of cerebellar hemorrhage, erection of the penis was noted six times by Serres. Death by hanging is often accompanied by partial erection.
- ^ Gould, George Milbry; Pyle, Walter Lytle. Anomalies and Curiosities of Medicine: Being an Encyclopedic Collection of Rare and Extraordinary Cases, and of the Most Striking Instances of Abnormality in All Branches of Medicine and Surgery, Derived from an Exhaustive Research of Medical Literature from Its Origin to the Present Day. W. B. Saunders. 1900 （英语）.
Priapism is sometimes seen as a curious symptom of lesion of the spinal cord. In such cases it is totally unconnected with any voluptuous sensation, and is only found accompanied by motor paralysis. It may occur spontaneously immediately after accident involving the cord, and is then probably due to undue excitement of the portion of the cord below the lesion, which is deprived of the regulating influence of the brain... Pressure on the cerebellum is supposed to account for cases of priapism observed in executions and suicides by hanging. There is an instance recorded of an Italian castrata who said he provoked sexual pleasure by partially hanging himself.
- ^ Neck Trauma: Practice Essentials, Pathophysiology, Frequency. 2019-11-09 [2020-12-24]. （原始内容存档于2008-12-08）.
- ^ Guy, William Augustus. Principles of Forensic Medicine. H. Renshaw. 1861 （英语）.