- Mauritania's 'wife-fattening' farm January 26, 2004.
- Mauritania seeks to reverse 'fat is beautiful' ethos By Sharon LaFraniere July 3, 2007
- Leblouh Negative cultures November 2010
- Mauritania: Force-feeding of young girls waning, replaced by drugs formulated for livestock February, 2011
- Grasso è bello in Mauritania February 25, 2009.
- Forced to Be Fat July 21, 2011
- Force Feeding in Mauritania. Photos by Joost De Raeymaeker 2013
- Where Fat Is a Mark of Beauty Los Angeles Times, September 30, 1998
- Bride Confinement, Fattening and Circumcision: Promoting Violence Against Women December 2, 2012
- The fattening room: Nkuho an Efik tradition 2010
- EAT, EAT, EAT if you want to be loved In Africa, big is beautiful March 25, 2001
- Fattening practices among Moroccan Saharawi women. September 12, 2006
- Le gavage à Djerba 1987
- In the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, the Tunisian Jewish female body was subjected to a dramatic fattening process in preparation for marriage.
- 美丽的代价 Ep# 104 Title: "Uganda" Air-date: April 5, 2010
- African Queens May 21, 2003
- LaFRANIERE, SHARON. In Mauritania, Seeking to End an Overfed Ideal, The New York Times, published in July 4, 2007. Accessed in June 30, 2011.
- "Girls as young as 5 and as old as 19 had to drink up to five gallons of fat-rich camel’s or cow’s milk daily, aiming for silvery stretch marks on their upper arms. If a girl refused or vomited, the village weight-gain specialist might squeeze her foot between sticks, pull her ear, pinch her inner thigh, bend her finger backward or force her to drink her own vomit. In extreme cases, girls died.
- Smith, Alex Duval. Girls being force-fed for marriage as junta revives fattening farms, The Observer, March 1, 2009.
- Young Mauritanians reject forced fattening, Al Arabiya, February 24, 2009.
- Chapter 1, note 4