Severing professional ties with father and manager Mathew Knowles, Beyoncé eschewed the music of her previous releases in favor of an intimate, personal album. 4's lyrics emphasize monogamy, female empowerment and self-reflection, a result of Beyoncé considering a maturer message to contend artistic credibility. In May 2011, Beyoncé submitted seventy-two songs to Columbia Records for consideration, twelve of which appeared on the standard edition.4 was promoted in mid-2011 by television performances and festival appearances, such as Beyoncé's headlining Glastonbury Festival set. The album received generally positive reviews by music critics; several publications included it on their year-end lists. It was her fourth consecutive album to debut at number one on the US Billboard 200, and it also reached number one in Brazil, France, Ireland, South Korea, Spain, Switzerland and the United Kingdom. 4 spawned the international singles "Run the World (Girls)", "Best Thing I Never Had", "Party", "Love on Top" and "Countdown". "Love on Top" won the Grammy Award for Best Traditional R&B Performance at the 55th annual ceremony. As of December 2015, 4 has sold 1.5 million copies in the United States.
I Miss You
Best Thing I Never Had
Party (featuring André 3000)
Rather Die Young
Love on Top
End of Time
Run the World (Girls)
|4 – Japanese edition (bonus track)|
|《第4击》 – Australian tour edition (bonus tracks)|
|13.||Lay Up Under Me||4:13|
|15.||Dance for You||6:17|
|16.||Run the World (Girls)（Dave Audé Remix Radio Edit）||4:02|
|17.||End of Time（Isa Machine Remix）||4:18|
|18.||Love on Top（DJ Escape & Tony Coluccio Radio Remix）||3:51|
|《第4击》 – Deluxe edition (disc two)|
|1.||Lay Up Under Me||4:13|
|3.||Dance for You||6:17|
|4.||Run the World (Girls)（Kaskade Club Remix）||5:02|
|5.||Run the World (Girls)（Red Top Club Remix）||6:02|
|6.||Run the World (Girls)（Jochen Simms Club Remix）||6:19|
|《第4击》 – Expanded edition|
|1.||Love on Top||4:27|
|2.||Party（featuring André 3000）||4:04|
|5.||I Miss You||2:58|
|6.||Dance for You||6:15|
|8.||Rather Die Young||3:43|
|10.||End of Time||3:44|
|11.||Run the World (Girls)||3:58|
|12.||Best Thing I Never Had||4:13|
|14.||I Was Here||Warren||3:58|
- ^a signifies a co-producer
- ^b signifies an additional producer
- ^c signifies a vocal producer
- ^d signifies a remixer
- "I Care" features background vocals by Billy Kraven
- "Party" features background vocals by Kanye West and Consequence
- "Rather Die Young" features background vocals by Luke Steele and Billy Kraven
- "I Was Here" features background vocals by Ryan Tedder
- The deluxe edition contains an exclusive version of the music video for "Run the World (Girls)".
- "Party" samples "La Di Da Di" as performed by Doug E. Fresh and the Get Fresh Crew featuring MC Ricky D. and written by Douglas Davis and Ricky Walters.
- "Countdown" samples "Uhh Ahh" as performed by Boyz II Men and written by Michael Bivins, Nathan Morris and Wanya Morris.
- "Run the World (Girls)" samples "Pon de Floor" as performed by Major Lazer and written by Afrojack, Vybz Cartel, Diplo and Switch.
- Beyoncé – 4 (CD, Album) at Discogs. Discogs. June 24, 2011 [February 8, 2018].
- Beyoncé – 4 [Limited Edition]. Sony Music Japan. June 5, 2011 [June 5, 2011] （日语）.
- Beyoncé – 4. HMV. June 16, 2011 [June 26, 2011]. （原始内容存档于2011-07-01） （日语）.
- 4: Australian Tour Edition. Play-asia.com. [August 9, 2014].
- 4 (Deluxe Edition) – 2 Discs. Target Corporation. [June 18, 2011]. （原始内容存档于December 5, 2012）.
- Beyoncé 4: Songs: Credits
- 4 (booklet). Beyoncé deluxe. New York City: Columbia Records, a division of Sony Music Entertainment. 2011.