- Baroda dynamite case
- Interview with Indira Gandhi. Interview relecast through India times. TV Eye. [14 June 2018].
- recallign the emergency. Indian Express. 29 June 2015 [14 June 2018].
- Vinay Lal. Indira Gandhi. [1 August 2013].
Sanjay Gandhi, started to run the country as though it were his fiefdom and earned the fierce hatred of many whom his policies had victimised. He ordered the removal of slum dwellings, and in an attempt to curb India's growing population, initiated a highly resented programme of forced sterilisation.
- Subodh Ghildiyal. Cong blames Sanjay Gandhi for Emergency 'excesses'. 29 December 2010 [1 August 2013].
Sanjay Gandhi's rash promotion of sterilization and forcible clearance of slums ... sparked popular anger
- Kumkum Chadha. Sanjay's men and women. 4 January 2011 [1 August 2013].
The Congress, on the other hand, charges Sanjay Gandhi of "over-enthusiasm" in dealing with certain programmes and I quote yet again: "Unfortunately, in certain spheres, over-enthusiasm led to compulsion in the enforcement of certain programmes like compulsory sterilisation and clearance of slums. Sanjay Gandhi had by then emerged as a leader of great significance.".
- Sanjay Gandhi worked in an authoritarian manner: Congress book. 28 December 2010 [1 August 2013].
- Atul Kohli. Democracy and Discontent: India's Growing Crisis of Governability. Cambridge University Press. 1991. ISBN 0-521-39161-X.
- Atul Kohli (ed.). The Success of India's Democracy. Cambridge University Press. 2001 . ISBN 81-7596-107-4.
- Ayesha Jalal. Democracy and Authoritarianism in South Asia: a Comparative and Historical Perspective. Cambridge University Press. 1995 . ISBN 81-85618-75-5
- B. G. Verghese. Warrior of the Fourth Estate: Ramnath Goenka of the Express. Viking, Penguin India. 2005. ISBN 978-0-67005-842-6.
- Bipan Chandra et al. India Since Independence. Penguin India. 2008 [2011 digital edition]. e-ISBN 978-81-8475-053-9.
- Durga Das Basu. Introduction to the Constitution of India. LexisNexis Butterworths. 1960 [20th edition, 2011 reprint]. ISBN 978-81-8038-559-9.
- Inder Malhotra. Indira Gandhi: A Personal and Political Biography. Hodder and Stoughton. 1989. ISBN 0-340-40540-6.
- Mary C. Carras. Indira Gandhi: In the Crucible of Leadership. Jaico Publishing House. 1979 .
- Partha Chatterjee. Lineages of Political Society. Permanent Black. 2011. ISBN 81-7824-317-2.
- Partha Chatterjee. Empire and Nation: Essential Writings, 1985–2005. Permanent Black. 2010. ISBN 81-7824-267-2.
- Ramachandra Guha. India After Gandhi: The History of the World's Largest Democracy. HarperCollins. 2008. ISBN 978-0-330-50554-3.
- S. S. Gill. The Dynasty: A Political Biography of the Premier Ruling Family of Modern India. HarperCollins. 1996. ISBN 81-7223-245-4.
- Subhash C. Kashyap. Indian Constitution: Conflicts and Controversies. Vitasta Publishing. 2010. ISBN 978-81-89766-41-2.
- T. V. Sathyamurthy. State and Nation in the Context of Social Change. Oxford University Press. 1994. ISBN 0-19-563136-6.
- Aaron S. Klieman. "Indira's India: Democracy and Crisis Government", Political Science Quarterly (1981) 96#2 pp. 241–259 in JSTOR
- Kuldip Nayar. The Judgement: Inside Story of the Emergency in India. 1977. Vikas Publishing House. ISBN 0-7069-0557-1.
- P. N. Dhar. Indira Gandhi, the "Emergency", and Indian Democracy (2000), 424pp
- Ramashray Roy and D. L. Sheth. "The 1977 Lok Sabha Election Outcome: The Salience of Changing Voter Alignments Since 1969," Political Science Review (1978), Vol. 17 Issue 3/4, pp. 51–63
- Shourie, Arun (1984). Mrs Gandhi's second reign. New Delhi: Vikas.
- Shourie, Arun (1978). Symptoms of fascism. New Delhi: Vikas.
- Telegram 8557 from the United States Embassy in India to the Department of State, 27 June 1975
- A. Z. Huq Democratic Norms, Human Rights and States of Emergency: Lessons from the Experience of Four Countries
- "Memories of a Father," a book by Eachara Varier, father of a student killed in police custody during the emergency