联合基督教会是由Evangelical and Reformed Church(E&R)和Congregational Christian Churches(CC)在1957年联合而成的，这两个教都是由之前的一些小教會联合而成。UCC自我描述為「基督的、改革的、會眾的、福音的」（Christian, Reformed, Congregational and Evangelical），其福音主義源自德國的敬虔主義運動。社會福音運動和進步主義的早期代表人物之一華盛頓·格拉登，是UCC的代表人物。
UCC將歷史上的信條、信仰聲明等文件，視為「信仰告白」（testimonies of faith），而非要求教義標準答案的「信仰測驗卷」（tests of faith）。以下為該教會認為可表達其信仰的文件：
- 海德堡要理問答 (inherited from both the German Reformed and German Evangelical heritages),
- 路德小問答 (inherited from the German Evangelical heritage),
- 堪薩斯信仰宣言(a 1913 statement in the Congregationalist tradition),
- The Evangelical Catechism (a 1927 catechism in the German Evangelical tradition), and
- 聯合基督教會信仰宣言 (written at the founding of the denomination).
- 芝加哥神學院 (Chicago, Illinois)
- Eden Theological Seminary (Webster Groves, Missouri and St. Louis, MO)
- Lancaster Theological Seminary (Lancaster, Pennsylvania)
- Pacific School of Religion (Berkeley, California)
- United Theological Seminary of the Twin Cities (New Brighton, Minnesota)
- 美国驻华大使馆将 United Church of Christ 翻译为联合基督教会，见此文：http://chinese.usembassy-china.org.cn/jl0100_immigration.html
- United Church of Christ Constitution and Bylaws：「Within the United Church of Christ, the various expressions of the church relate to each other in a covenantal manner. Each expression of the church has responsibilities and rights in relation to the others, to the end that the whole church will seek God's will and be faithful to God's mission. Decisions are made in consultation and collaboration among the various parts of the structure. As members of the Body of Christ, each expression of the church is called to honor and respect the work and ministry of each other part. Each expression of the church listens, hears, and carefully considers the advise, counsel and requests of others. In this covenant, the various expressions of the United Church of Christ seek to walk together in all God's ways」
- GOODSTEIN, LAURIE, Episcopal Bishops Give Ground on Gay Marriage, NY Times, 2009-07-15 [2010-01-22]
- Who are you calling liberal?.
To be sure, many UCC members relish the denomination"s left-wing identity. A quick internet search reveals that a number of UCC churches use the words "liberal" or "progressive" to describe either their individual congregations or the denomination as a whole. But for the UCC"s more-conservative members and congregations, the L-word is akin to fingernails on a chalkboard. The 2001 International Congregational Life Survey, which included 21,000 UCC respondents from more than 800 congregations, found that UCC members were slightly more likely to self-identify as "conservative" rather than "liberal"—both theologically and politically.
- Ecumenical partnerships and relationships of full communion.
- Interfaith relations.
- Lutherans, Catholics, Methodists, Reformed and Anglicans “drawn into deeper communion”. anglicannews.
- What is the United Church of Christ?.
- The German Evangelical Movement.
- 2008 Annual Report. [2009-01-23].
- Constitution and Bylaws. United Church of Christ.