- 被遺棄的希望, the initial wave of troops attacking a fortress or other strongpoint, who usually took terrible casualties.
- Redshirt, a character whose sole purpose is to die violently soon after being introduced. This term was originally used to describe the red-shirted security personnel of the original Star Trek series.
- Mook, from mook jung (Cantonese for "dead wood" or "wooden dummy") - the same but on the baddies' side.
- 替罪羔羊, a metaphorical reference for a person who has little if any chance of surviving an upcoming challenge, but seeks to sacrifice him or herself for the common good.
- 肉盾, informal and often derogatory expression for someone put forth to absorb an attack or shelter another, such as a hostage held to block bullets.