United States Court for China
|Rufus Hildreth Thayer||1909–1913||Lawyer, law clerk in the US Department of Treasury, assistant to the Librarian of Congress and former Advocate General of the District of Columbia National Guard|
|75px||Charles S. Lobingier||1914–1924||Law professor, former Judge of the Philippines Court of First Instance and later member of the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission|
Two individuals were also appointed Special Judges of the Court to try cases when the Judge was not available. They were:
- 1918-1920: Nelson Erroll Lurton (1883–1956)
- 1920-1923: Ferno J. Schul
- 1923–1928: Nelson Erroll Lurton
- 1928–19??: Alexander Krisel (1890–1983)
- 1937-1941: Nelson Errol Lurton
Edwin Cunningham, United States Consul General in Shanghai from 1920 to 1935 was admitted to the bar of the court in 1930, but did not practice before the court
- 杨寅，鲜知、遗忘的上海美国法院，《读书》，2003年8月，p84-89，ISSN 02570270
- Allman, Norwood Francis. Shanghai Lawyer. McGraw Hill. 1943. OCLC 582340713. (Republished with annotations and Illustrations as: Shanghai Lawyer: The Memoirs of America's China Spy Master, Earnshaw Books, 2017)
- Clark, Douglas. Gunboat Justice: British and American Law Courts in China and Japan (1842-1943). Hong Kong: Earnshaw Books. 2015., Vol. 1: ISBN 978-988-82730-8-9; Vol. 2: ISBN 978-988-82730-9-6; Vol. 3: ISBN 978-988-82731-9-5
- Hinckley, Frank E. Extraterritoriality in China. Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science. 1912, 39: 97–108. JSTOR 1012076.
- Lee, Tahirih V. The United States Court for China: A Triumph of Local Law. Buffalo Law Review (University at Buffalo Law School). 2004, 52 (4): 923–1075. SSRN 958954.
- Lobingier, Charles Sumner. American Courts in China. Bar Association Publications. 1919.
- Lobingier, Charles Sumner. Extraterritorial Cases, Including the Decisions of the United States Court for China from Its Beginning, Those Reviewing the Same by the Court of Appeals, and the Leading Cases Decided by Other Courts on Questions of Extraterritoriality I. Manila: Bureau of Printing. 1920.
- Lobingier, Charles Sumner. The Decisions of the United States Court for China, 1920-1924, Those Reviewing the Same by the Court of Appeals and Leading Decisions by Other Authorities on Questions of Extraterritoriality II. Manila: Bureau of Printing. 1928.
- Millare, Thomas F. A United States Court on Foreign Soil: Excellent Results Follow Judge Wilfley's Work in the Establishment of American Law and Jurisdiction in Foreign Concession, Shanghai. New York Times. March 22, 1908.
- Ruskola, Teemu. Law's Empire: The Legal Construction of 'America' in the 'District of China'. Annual Meeting of American Society of Legal History. Washington, DC. November 15, 2003. SSRN 440641.
- Ruskola, Teemu. Colonialism without Colonies: On the Extraterritorial Jurisprudence of the U.S. Court for China. Law and Contemporary Problems (Duke University School of Law). 2008, 71 (3): 217–242.
- Scully, Eileen P. Bargaining with the State from Afar: American Citizenship in Treaty Port China, 1842-1942. Columbia University Press. 2001. ISBN 978-0-231-12109-5.
- Charges against Lebbeus R. Wilfley, Judge of the United States Court for China, and Petition for His Removal from Office
- United States Court for China: Hearings before the Committee on Foreign Affairs (HR)
- Correspondence relating to and case files of the US Court for China (M862 Roll 80)
- US Court for China case reports from 1907 (M862 Roll 81)
- Correspondence relating to the US Court for China (M862 Roll 82)
- Consular files relating to charges against Judge Wilfley and other correspondence (M862 Roll 83)
- Consular files relating to charges against Judge Wilfley with numerous newspaper clippings and transcript of R v O’Shea and appointment of Rufus Thayer (M862 Roll 84)
- Consular Files relating to US Court for China (up to p283) (M862 Roll 85)
- General consular correspondence including cases before consular courts in China and prison escape in 1906 (pp213 et seq) (M862 Roll 92)
- Correspondence relating to charges against Wilfley by Lorrin Andrews (up to page 232) (Record Group 59: General Records of the Department of State, 1763 - 2002 Series: Numerical Files, 8/1906 - 1910 File Unit: Numerical File: 4769-4787)