In the US, a postdoctoral scholar is an individual holding a doctoral degree who is engaged in mentored research and/or scholarly training for the purpose of acquiring the professional skills needed to pursue a career path of his or her choosing. Postdoctoral researchers play an important role in spearheading research activity in the US. The median salary of postdoctoral researchers is $42,000 a year for up to 5 years after receiving their doctoral degrees — 44% less than that of tenured positions. The National Postdoctoral Association (NPA) is a member-driven organization that provides a voice for postdoctoral scholars in the United States.
Postdoctoral research may be required for obtaining a tenure-track faculty position, especially at research-oriented institutions. Post-doctoral appointments that were traditionally optional have become mandatory in some fields as the degree of competition for tenure-track positions in academia has significantly increased over previous decades. In fact, the small supply of the professional positions in academia compared to the growing number of postdoctoral researchers makes it difficult to find tenure-track positions. In 2008, the proportion of postdoctoral researchers who got a tenure or tenure-track within 5 years after they received a doctoral degree was about 39%; nearly 10% of postdoctoral researchers were still waiting for tenure-track positions over 40 in 2003.
On the other hand, 85 percent of engineering doctoral degrees holder are likely to initially go into business or industry sector. Under the circumstances, providing doctoral students as well as postdoctoral researchers with necessary skills for nonacademic positions has become one of the important roles for graduate schools and institutions. The America COMPETES Act recognized the importance of graduate student support for obtaining skills needed when they pursue nonacademic careers, and required National Science Foundation (NSF) to increase or decrease funding for the Integrative Graduate Education and Research Traineeship (IGERT) programs at least at the same rate as it increases or decreases funding for the Graduate Research Fellowship program. IGERT has been providing Ph.D. graduate students with more interdisciplinary experience, broad based professional and technical skill, various training needed in nonacademic careers, off-campus internships and career information since 1998.
There are no comprehensive data of postdoctoral researchers in the US because of the less-organized survey and the difficulty in counting international postdoctoral researchers. The proportion of postdoctoral researchers on temporary visas reached 53.6% in 2010.
In the US, life sciences have a greater share than other fields due to higher federal funding of life and medical science areas since mid 1990 [來源請求]. One survey shows that 54% of postdoctoral researchers major in life sciences, whereas those who majored in physical science, mathematics, and engineering account for 28%.
In 2010, postdoctoral researchers in California formed a union, UAW Local 5810 in order to secure better working conditions such as the right to file a complaint for alleged discrimination or sexual harassment through a formal grievance procedure. In California, new postdoctoral appointments receive at least the NIH postdoctoral minimum salary ($39,264 in 2011) and many receive annual pay raises of 5-7% or more in accordance with the NIH’s Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Awards (NRSA).
Since the landmark ruling in the employment tribunal (Scotland) Ball vs Aberdeen University 2008 case (S/101486/08), researchers who have held successive fixed-term contracts for four years service are no longer temporary employees but are entitled to the open-ended contracts.
Salaried appointments at the minimum Level A, Step 6 for academic salaries, for doctoral qualified employees (从2008年开始) are set at A$75,612 p.a. at the 悉尼大学, A$75,404 p.a. at the 墨尔本大学, and A$75,612 p.a. at the 新南威尔士大学.
另外，澳大利亚研究理事会(ARC)提供给博士后奖学金。For example their Discovery Projects, funds 3 year Fellowships, beginning in 2009, with A$61,399 p.a. Furthermore, a mandatory superannuation payment of 11-17% is paid by Universities.
- ^ 中國博士後制度的產生. 中國博士後. 2003-04-10 [2010-05-14].
- ^ 博士後制度的有關概念. 中國博士後. 2003-04-11 [2010-05-14].
- ^ 周思源. 博士勿需再读“博士后”. 中国教育和科研计算机网. [2010-05-16].
- ^ 尹希：哈佛首例本科直读博士后. 新華網安徽頻道. 2008-09-16 [2010-05-16].
- ^ 回国读博士后推荐手续. 中华人民共和国驻日本福冈总领馆教育室. [2010-05-16].
- ^ 28歲女博士放棄讀博士後 當上女鎮長. CCTV.com. 2009-06-24 [2010-05-16].
- ^ What is a Postdoc?. （原始内容存档于2015-04-02）.
- ^ 8.0 8.1 Science and Engineering Labor Force. In Science and Engineering Indicators 2012.
- ^ Gewin, V. The spread of postdoc unions. Nature. 2010, 467 (7316): 739–41. doi:10.1038/467638a. PMID 20930810.
- ^ http://www.sigmaxi.org/postdoc/highlights.pdf[失效連結]
- ^ Pathway Through Graduate School and Into Careers.
- ^ Integrative Graduate Education and Research Traineeship Program.
- ^ Graduate Enrollment in Science and Engineering Grew Substantially in the Past Decade but Slowed in 2010.
- ^ Postdoctoral Education Survey Summary of Results.
- ^ Kristen Minogue. California Postdocs Embrace Union Contract. Science Insider. Aug 13, 2010 [June 22, 2011].
- ^ Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Award (NRSA) Stipends, Tuition/Fees and Other Budgetary Levels Effective for Fiscal Year 2012. National Institutes of Health.
- ^ UK GRAD Programme: Physical sciences and engineering PhD graduates from 2003 at a glance. [2007-12-04].
- ^ UCU - University and College Union - Research staff.
- ^ http://www.usyd.edu.au/hr/eb/2006/AC_annual_rates.pdf, Retrieved on 4 June 2012
- ^ http://policy.unimelb.edu.au/UOM0115#section-1.1.1, Retrieved on 4 June 2012
- ^ http://www.hr.unsw.edu.au/services/salaries/acadsal.html, Retrieved on 4 June 2012
- ^ Discovery Projects - Australian Research Council (ARC)
- ^ Appendix 3, p. 58, http://www.arc.gov.au/pdf/DP09_FundingRules.pdf, Retrieved on 22 July 2008
- ^ http://www.hr.unimelb.edu.au/benefits/superannuation, Retrieved on 22 July 2008