- "On my return from Spain and Gaul in the consulship of Tiberius Nero and Publius Quintilius after successfully arranging affairs in those provinces, the senate resolved that an altar of the Augustan Peace should be consecrated next to Campus Martius in honor of my return, and ordered that the magistrates and priests and Vestal Virgins should perform an annual sacrifice there....By new laws passed on my proposal I brought back into use many exemplary practices of our ancestors which were disappearing in our time, and in many ways I myself transmitted exemplary practices to posterity for their imitation." (Acts of the Divine Augustus 2.2; 8.5.
- Crow, Charlotte. The Ara Pacis. History Today. June 2006, 56 (6): 5. ; Samuel Ball Platner.
- Conlin, Diane Atnally 1997. The Artists of the Ara Pacis: The Process of Hellenization in Roman Relief Sculpture (Studies in the History of Greece and Rome University of North Carolina Press)
- Peter J. Holliday, "Time, History, and Ritual on the Ara Pacis Augustae" The Art Bulletin 72.4 (December 1990:542-557) doi:10.2307/3045761
- Rossini, Orietta 2006. Ara Pacis, Milan, Electa/. ISBN 8837043791
- Official web site of the Ara Pacis Museum of Rome