|瞻礼||7月20日 (羅馬天主教, 東方正教會)|
|主保||癫痫; 痛风; |
亚琛, 布特塞德, 杜塞尔多夫, 拉文納, 雷马根
20世紀的 天主教百科全書 依據教會傳統這樣描述他：
He was made Bishop of Ravenna, Italy, by Saint Peter himself. The miracles he wrought there soon attracted official attention, for they and his preaching won many converts to the Faith, while at the same time bringing upon him the fury of the idolaters, who beat him cruelly and drove him from the city. He was found half-dead on the seashore, and kept in concealment by the Christians, but was captured again and compelled to walk on burning coals and a second time expelled. But he remained in the vicinity, and continued his work of evangelization. We find him then journeying in the Roman province of Aemilia [in Italy]. A third time he returned to Ravenna. Again he was captured, hacked with knives, had scalding water poured over his wounds, was beaten in the mouth with stones because he persisted in preaching, and was flung into a horrible dungeon, loaded with chains, to starve to death; but after four days he was put on board a ship and sent to Greece. There the same course of preachings, miracles and sufferings continued; and when his very presence caused the oracles to be silent, he was, after a cruel beating, sent back to Italy. All this continued for three years, and a fourth time he returned to Ravenna. By this time Vespasian was Emperor, and he, in answer to the complaints of the pagans, issued a decree of banishment against the Christians. Apollinaris was kept concealed for some time, but as he was passing out of the gates of the city, was set upon and savagely beaten, probably at Classis, a suburb, but he lived for seven days, foretelling meantime that the persecutions would increase, but that the Church would ultimately triumph. It is not certain what was his native place, though it was probably Antioch. Nor is it sure that he was one of the seventy-two disciples of Christ, as has been suggested. The precise date of his consecration cannot be ascertained, but he was Bishop of Ravenna for twenty-six years.
- Martyrologium Romanum (Libreria Editrice Vaticana 2001 ISBN 88-209-7210-7)
- 七月的聖人歷（拉丁文）. [2014-07-22]. （原始内容存档于2021-01-21）.
- Catholic Encyclopedia: St Apollinaris. [2014-07-22]. （原始内容存档于2021-02-15）.
- Santi Beati: Sant'Apollinare di Ravenna, Vescovo e martire （页面存档备份，存于互联网档案馆） （意大利文）
- American Catholic - Saint of the Day: St Apollinaris
- Catholic Encyclopedia: St. Apollinaris （页面存档备份，存于互联网档案馆）
- "Saint Apollinaris" （页面存档备份，存于互联网档案馆） at the Christian Iconography （页面存档备份，存于互联网档案馆） website
- "Here Followeth the Life of St. Appolinaris" （页面存档备份，存于互联网档案馆） from the Caxton translation of the Golden Legend